Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Makeup: Berry Lips

Hi there, it's Marini here, a friend of the lovely blog owner Adrienne. 

So, basically, she's asked me to offer a few tips in the makeup department and although I'm no pro, I do love love love makeup and so I gladly agreed! It took me awhile as I had originally planned a tutorial video and that didn't go so well, so now I've decided I'll be posting an idea or a look I've possibly seen somewhere and try to recreate it if possible.

It's probably nothing too complicated, just your everyday looks or for night outs and the occasional festival makeup ideas. To sum it all up, it'll be a little bit of everything!

Moving on, shall we? 

I've been obsessing over dark lips lately and actually, I wasn't quite sure if I'd name this blog post Dark Lips or Berry Lips because Dark Lips could be just about any colour, even black. So I think I'll try to split it up: berry lips and then moving on to something more of a brown-toned colour.

As of now, we'll stick to berries.

How to rock such a colour?

People get scared and shy away from bold colours because they think they probably look like some goth emo person. Well, I, for one, think it's just as pretty as a baby pink colour. Also, it doesn't have to be an outright deep berry colour. You can always opt for a softer berry shade.

You could wear it sheer (a good one would be Revlon Lip Butter in Sugar Plum) or stained for a daytime look or full-blown for the night time. Anything that you feel comfortable with. Makeup is supposed to make you feel good and confident about yourself, not self-conscious.

The key here for those with rather thin lips is to apply it slightly out of your natural lip line. Don't go too crazy unless you want to look like The Joker but just enough to see that your pout looks full as dark colours tend to make your lips look smaller.

If you're pretty unsure of it, you can apply a lighter colour in the center of your lips to fake a fuller pout. Make sure to blend it all together!

(Picture credits to www.posh24.com)


(Picture credits to corallista.com)

Also, berry pouts look good with flawless satin matte skin and contour under the cheekbones. It isn't necessary for blush but if you can't go on without applying any, a nude or warm pink-peach blush would look just as great when paired with. Eyeliner, lots of lashes and you're good to go!

My take on it:


(Apologies for the low-quality photos - I had taken a few with my camera but apparently I forgot that I didn't have that SD card reader or my camera cable, of which I should so look for a.s.a.p. Hence, hello crappy phone camera.)

Products I used-
Face: Inglot YSM Cream Foundation #49, Color Combos Mineral Loose Powder in 02 Natural
Cheeks: Cargo Matte Medium Bronzer
Eyes: Essence Eye Pencil in 02 Hot Chocolate, Maybelline The Falsies Mascara
Lips: Silkygirl Moisture Rich Lipstick in 01 Vamp

It's pretty much a look you can pull off in under 5 minutes but will leave you looking put-together, chic and sophisticated.

Berry lips: thumbs up or a no-go?

Cheers, 
M x

No comments: