Thursday, June 12, 2014

Friday Film: Death Proof









Jungle Julia: [to Arlene] What about "kinda cute, kinda hot, kinda sexy, hysterically funny, but not funny-looking guy who you could fuck" did you not understand?






Stuntman Mike: [handing Arlene and Jungle Julia beers] Cheers, Butterfly. The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. And I have promises to keep. Miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me, Butterfly? Miles to go, before you sleep.











Lee: Did you know Kim carried a gun?
Abernathy: Yes. Now, do I approve? No. Do I know? Yes?
Kim: Look, I don't know what futuristic utopia you live in, but the world I live in, a bitch need a gun.
Abernathy: You can't get around the fact that people who carry guns, tend to get shot more than people who don't.
Kim: And you can't get around the fact that if I go down to the laundry room in my building at midnight enough times, I might get my ass raped.
Lee: Don't do your laundry at midnight.
Kim: Fuck that! I wanna do my laundry whenever the fuck I wanna do my laundry.
Abernathy: There are other things you can carry other than a gun. Pepper spray.
Kim: Uh, motherfucker tryna rape me? I don't wanna give him skin rash! I wanna shut that nigga down!
Abernathy: How about a knife at least?
Kim: Yeah, you know what happens to motherfuckers carry knives? They get shot! Look, if I ever become a famous actress, I wont carry a gun. I'll hire me a do-dirt nigga, and he'll carry the gun. And when shit goes down, I'll sit back and laugh, but until that day, it's Wild West motherfucker!





I watched this on a particularly slow day during Chinese New Year and I was hooked from the very beginning till the very end. Girl power is a strong theme of the movie, which is what we need from Quentin Tarantino at times. The aesthetic of the film is interesting as well. At one point, it turned completely black and white. The screenshots may give certain key scenes away but come on, you need to watch everything to know for sure what happens.

Death Proof is a perfect portrayal of how rape culture can be as well. It shows how sleazy guys can terrorise girls and make them feel extremely uncomfortable. The ending made me stand up and applaud.

Girls, treat yourself to some girl power feels with this movie and do check out the credit song Chick Habit by April March. There are two versions of Chick Habit, a French version as well as an English version. Both are equally great, especially when you're getting ready for a night out or hanging out with your girlfriends.

Till then,
Hang up the chick habit.

No comments: