Thursday, December 19, 2013

Friday Film: Trainspotting

This movie was based on a book of the same title by Irvine Welsh. I have not read it yet, but after watching the movie, I would love to pick it up. Trainspotting revolves around Mark Renton, his friends and their drug addiction. It's set in Edinburgh, their accents are thick, so subtitles are recommended. 

Trainspotting is not for the faint hearted for it deals with addiction. It shows you how easy it is for us to lose control and give up everything for a quick hit. Some of the scenes are not easy to digest at all, it may even cause you to lose your appetite, but all in all, it was a damn good movie. Considering how it's semester break and I finally have time to sit down and watch a proper movie, this movie was the best out of the lot, beating The Hobbit II, Frozen and Anna Karenina. OK, maybe not The Hobbit II, but you catch my drift. 


Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: [narrating] Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suit on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?











Diane: Do you find that this approach usually works? Or let me guess, you've never tried it before. In fact, you don't normally approach girls - am I right? The truth is that you're a quiet sensitive type but, if I'm prepared to take a chance, I might just get to know the inner you: witty, adventurous, passionate, loving, loyal. Taxi! A little bit crazy, a little bit bad. But hey - don't us girls just love that?








Sick Boy: Personality, I mean that's what counts, right? That's what keeps a relationship going through the years. 





Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: I don't feel the sickness yet, but it's in the post. That's for sure. I'm in the junkie limbo at the moment. Too ill to sleep. Too tired to stay awake, but the sickness is on its way. Sweat, chills, nausea. Pain and craving. A need like nothing else I've ever known will soon take hold of me. It's on its way.




Till then,
Cheers mate.

No comments: