Monday, March 31, 2014

Overflow of Emotions


{Photo by: Amanda}

“When I was excited about life, I didn't want to write at all. I've never written when I was happy. I didn't want to. But I've never had a long period of being happy, Do you think anyone has? I think you can be peaceful for a long time, When I think about it, if I had to choose, I'd rather be happy than write. You see, there's very little invention in my books. What came first with most of them was the wish to get rid of this awful sadness that weighed me down . I found when I was a child that if I could put the hurt into words, it would go. It leaves a sort of melancholy behind and then it goes.”


- Jean Rhys

I came across this quote when browsing through my entire bookmark list of blogs. This one in particular stayed with me all day long. (You can read the post here.) It is a great relief when you come across a quote that resonates so well with how you are currently feeling. The whole situation feels less complex and you feel a little less lonely. Sad is a misunderstood word, I feel, sometimes you are sad, but it is not a negative feeling. Maybe this is all nonsensical, but putting emotions into words has never been my forte. 

On a side note, I have been thinking a lot about this one piece I read in some random magazine that is stacked somewhere deep in the depths of my room. It is about a group of guys who travelled round the world back in the 1900s. I long to find the piece and read it again but I can't seem to face the stacks of magazine that I am in denial of ownership of. Someday, I shall form a system but as of now, nah. Goodbye Horses and The Motorcycle Diaries will have to do as a way of satisfying my desire to road trip. 

Till then,
All's good when you have distractions. 

No comments: